Saturday 24 September 2011

Quick and Easy Mint and Pea Soup


One of those delightful recipes with less than 10 ingredients! This soup is absolutely gorgeous and is lovely on a cold winter/autumn (let’s face it anytime in England) day. The original recipe is taken from The Vegan Family who also include nettles in their version. I tried it with nettles once and it didn’t taste much different so I haven’t bothered since (I'm too much of a wimp and plus who has nettles just lying around?). I've found The Vegan Family to be a great resource for vegan recipes, in fact, I think I got my Christmas dinner - Cashew nut roast recipe from this website so it’s well worth a browse!
Anyway, no more rambling just onto the easiest, most filling and yummy soup ever!

Cooking time: I’ve got it down to 20mins but 30 for beginners ;)
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 large white onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
500g of frozen peas
A good handful of fresh mint, chopped
Water
Salt(I remembered these all off by heart!)
Serves 4 hungry family members!
1. Start by heating the olive oil in a large saucepan and then fry the onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
2. Add the peas and mint and cover with water.
3. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.

4. Wait for the mixture to cool slightly(or put the saucepan in a basin of cold water to speed things up – Nice trick from my Granny there!)
5. Blend until the soup is as thick/thin as you like. (The soup can now be put in the fridge to keep for later)
My blender broke before I'd finished blending today :( I decided to leave it in its thick state and it was as delicious as ever! Had to use mums blender for dinner though, nowhere near as good as my £7 Argos one was!

6. Heat on the Hob and add salt to taste.
It's as easy as that!

No comments:

Post a Comment